Location: London, UK (Bermondsey)
Salary: pro rata £28,000 – £36,000 depending on experience
Basis: Full-time, part-time or flexible
Eligibility: You must be eligible to work in the UK
Deadline: 16th November 2019
Interviews: 23rd November 2019
Who we are
Bento Lab is a start-up on a mission to make biotechnology available to people all over the world, by creating kick-ass hardware, wetware and knowledge resources.
Here’s who we are looking for
You are the kind of person who thrives on starting an independent project, and finishing it. You figure out how an idea can be prototyped, tested and how it fits into a larger context. When you say “I’ll take care of it” we know it’ll be done well. You get excited when you know you’ve helped our customers get value and joy out of our products.
Experience is important. We are looking for someone who has worked in research laboratories, and has a professional attitude and discipline. You should consider yourself a pro who is confident being responsible for a lot of our in-house molecular biology work. You have a solid foundation in biochemistry, experience designing PCR based assays, optimising DNA extraction methods, etc. And, you are an excellent written and spoken communicator, whether you are talking to professional researchers, or in the context of science education and outreach. You are passionate about accessibility to science and engineering.
Note: You must live in the London area.
- Development of PCR-based protocols and methods
- Prototyping and production of citizen science and learning project kits
- Researching and testing best practices
- Community and customer engagement
- Working with select users long-term to identify methods suitable for their projects
- Create accessible molecular biology knowledge resources
- Independent role, where you can suggest and pursue project interesting to you
- Flexible timing, and you can set your own hours
- International travel opportunities to science conferences, festivals, and workshops
Experience and personal attributes
- Extensive subject knowledge of Molecular Biology
- Excellent DNA laboratory practice
- Experience of genomic DNA isolation and quantification from different sources
- Experience with DNA primers (design, contamination, storage)
- Solid theoretical understanding of basic biochemistry and chemistry principles
- A great communicator, with excellent written English, as well as editing skills
- Interest in science communication, education, citizen science
- Creative, resourceful and meticulous
Ideally you’ll also have:
- Teaching experience
- WordPress blogging experience
If you are interested in this role, but do not fit entirely fit this profile, don’t be deterred. We are looking for a candidate who is motivated, passionate and a quick learner.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: “Molecular Biologist Role”)