Molecular Biologist (Remote)
Basis: Full-time, part-time or flexible
Date: We are actively looking for the right person. If that’s you, please apply as soon as possible (like, right now)! We’re excited to meet you
How to apply: No need to send us CVs or cover letters. Just fill out the short application form to tell us who you are.
Who we are
Bento Lab is a small company on a mission to make biotechnology available to people all over the world, including novice users. We do this by creating kick-ass hardware, wetware and knowledge resources.
We are a remote-first company. This includes lab work too! Our customers use Bento Lab to do molecular biology work in many different settings (including working from home), so our internal laboratory work reflects that too.
Our hardware production is based in London, and we all meet in-person twice a year (once we are vaccinated). We are working hard on maintaining a friendly and inclusive culture. No crazy start-up hours and constant interruptions. Just focused, fun and effective work that has impact.
Here’s who we are looking for
You are the kind of person who thrives on starting an independent project, and finishing it. You figure out how an idea can be prototyped, tested and how it fits into a larger context. When you say “I’ll take care of it” we know it’ll be done well and on time.
Experience is important. We are looking for someone who has worked in research laboratories, and has a professional attitude and discipline. You are a pro who can take responsibility for a lot of our in-house molecular biology work. You have a solid foundation in biochemistry, experience designing PCR based assays, optimising DNA extraction methods, running crisp gels, etc.
And, you are an excellent written and spoken communicator, whether you are talking to professional researchers, or in the context of science outreach.
Never mind if you do not tick all the boxes! If you are interested in this role and think you would do an exceptional job, please get in touch!
We are looking for a candidate with passion, who will shape the role to their strengths.
- Development of PCR-based protocols and methods
- Prototyping of citizen science and learning project kits
- Researching, testing, and communicating best practices
- Working with select users long-term to identify methods suitable for their projects
- Creating accessible molecular biology knowledge resources for our community
- Independent role that you can shape around your strengths and interests
- Work on your own schedule
- International travel opportunities to science conferences, festivals, and workshops
- Become part of a diverse team of passionate people making products that have impact
Experience and personal attributes
- Extensive subject knowledge of molecular biology
- Excellent DNA laboratory practice
- Experience of genomic DNA isolation and quantification from different sources
- Experience with DNA primers (design, contamination, storage)
- Solid theoretical understanding of basic biochemistry and chemistry principles
- A great communicator, with excellent written English and a focus on clarity
- Creative and pro-active
Ideally you’ll also have:
- Teaching experience
- Science communication experience
- Passion for citizen science